These are the oils that make asphalt better than new. They actually reconstitute the original chemistry of the asphalt or RAP, adding back the elements that have been lost through oxidation and aging. This results in roadways that defy comparison for longevity and economy. Competitive products provide no property performance improvement. Hydrolene products replace lost properties and add value to your application.
(Click image to enlarge)
Hydrolene is compatible with Warm-Mix foaming and additive packages. It does not adversely affect these technologies.
Recycling vs. Rejuvenation
Understanding the Difference
The percentage of Recycled Asphalt Pavement (RAP) in Hot-Mix Asphalt (HMA) design is growing, as demand for high RAP Mix increases, due to economic and environmental factors. In High RAP Mix designs, both the high and low temperature pavement performance need to be enhanced to ensure that premature failures do not occur. Using a soft base asphalt binder rejuvenator or recycling agent improves this cracking resistance, but there are differences between a rejuvenator and a recycling agent and their respective benefits.
Rejuvenating Agents affect both the physical and chemical properties of the virgin asphalt binder and the RAP binder in the mix design. They add the following benefits:
- Improve the low temperature PG grade and increase crack resistance in the HMA.
- Improve workability/compaction of the RAP mix design.
- Restore the aromatic resins to the high RAP asphalt binder that were lost due to oxidative field aging.
- Do not cause continuous age softening of the RAP asphalt binder which could lead to increased rutting potential.
- Increase aromatic resins lost during oxidation.
- Reduce the high temperature Performance Grade (PG).
Recycling Agents are also capable of reducing the viscosity and improving the low temperature properties of the high RAP binder. Here’s where they differ from a rejuvenating agent:
- A recycling agent does not add the aromatic resins to balance the properties of the high RAP binder and repair the oxidative aging.
- Without the aromaticity restored, the high RAP mix design will exhibit premature rutting due to continued age softening of the RAP binder.
It is not only important to have a balanced mix design for volumetrics, but also to ensure that the design will provide long term performance without increased rutting and/or premature cracking.
This is the HYDROLENE Difference.
Hydrolene Oils rejuvenate and improve the high RAP mix you recycle.
- High aromatic content enables penetration and rejuvenation of asphalt quickly and effectively.
- Increases aromatic resins lost during oxidation.
- Improved fatigue performance.
- Does not cause continuous age softening of the RAP asphalt binder that could lead to increased rutting potential.
- Low in viscosity, which improves the ease and greater workability and compaction of the RAP mix design.
- Effective in restoring high viscosity aged asphalt.
- Hydrolene is compatible with Warm-Mix foaming and additive packages.
Click the links below to download Hydrolene Hot Mix Asphalt Rejuvenation SDS (PDF format):
- Hydrolene H50T
- Hydrolene H90T
- Hydrolene H100T
- Hydrolene H125T
- Hydrolene H180TN
- Hydrolene H225T
- Hydrolene H600T
- Hydrolene SP125
- Hydrolene SP250
▶ Can't find an SDS? Visit our SDS section or call us at 1.800.456.4786